Andrey Khalimon, PhD
Position: Assistant Professor
Phone: +7 (7172) 709102
Dr. Andrey Khalimon received his Dipl. Chem. Degree (Diploma with Excellence) from M. V. Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russia) in 2004 and Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry from Brock University (Canada) in 2010. His doctorate work with Prof. Georgii I Nikonov was focused on the investigation of new catalytic methods and design of novel early transition metal catalysts for chemoselective reduction of challenging substrates. This included detailed mechanistic studies of catalytic reactions in order to make even better system with desired properties.
After his Ph.D., he joined the group of Prof. Warren E. Piers at the University of Calgary (Canada) as a Post-Doctoral Research Associate, where he continued to work in the field of transition metal catalysis (photoinduced olefin metathesis) and materials chemistry (the development of Photo Lewis Acid Generators and their applications in advanced photolithography) in collaboration with the Intel Corporation (USA).
In 2013, Dr. Khalimon moved to Heidelberg in Germany and joined CaRLa (Catalysis Research Laboratory, BASF SE) as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow. Working as a part of the team of industrial and fundamental chemists, he was involved in the development of the first catalytic system for direct synthesis of acrylates from CO2 and olefins – a highly attractive process for chemical industry.
Current research interests include:
(1) Catalysis for sustainable energy technologies;
(2) Transition metal mediated activation of small molecules (CO2, CO, NH3, etc.);
(3) Development of new metal catalysts for chemo-, regio-, and enantioselective transformation of organic substrates into value-added products;
(4) Organometallic dyes for Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells.
- A.Y. Khalimon, P.M. Farha, G. I. Nikonov, Imido-hydrido Complexes of Mo(IV): Catalysis and Mechanistic Aspects of Hydroboration Reactions, Dalton Trans. 2015, accepted manuscript.
- A.Y. Khalimon, B.K. Shaw, A.J.V. Marwitz, W.E. Piers, J.M. Blackwell, M. Parvez, Photo lewis acid generators: Photorelease of B(C6F5)3 and Applications to catalysis, Dalton Trans. 2015, 44, 18196-18206
- N. Huguet, I. Jevtovikj, A. Gordillo, M.L. Lejkowski, R. Lindner, M. Bru, A.Y. Khalimon, F. Rominger, S.A. Schunk, P. Hofmann, M. Limbach, Catalytic and direct carboxylation of olefins with CO2: One-pot synthesis of α,β-unsaturated carboxylic acid salts, Chem. Eur. J. 2014, 20, 16858.
- A.Y. Khalimon, N.A. McLeod, S.K. Ignatov, A.I. Okhapkin, L.G. Kuzmina, G.I. Nikonov, Multiple coupling of silanes with an imido Mo complex, Dalton Trans. 2014, 43, 8446.
- A.Y. Khalimon, S.K. Ignatov, R. Simionescu, L.G. Kuzmina, J.A.K. Howard, G.I. Nikonov, Imido Mo(IV) Hydride Complexes: Mechanism of Carbonyl Hydrosilylation Catalyzed by (ArN)Mo(H)(SiH2Ph)(PMe3)3, Chem. Eur. J. 2013, 19, 8573.
- A.Y. Khalimon, E. Peterson, C. Lorber, L.G. Kuzmina, J.A.K. Howard, A. van der Est, G.I. Nikonov, Imido Supported Borohydrides of Titanium, Vanadium and Molybdenum, Eur. J. Inorg. Chem., 2013, 2205.
- A.Y. Khalimon, E.M. Leitao, W.E. Piers, Photogeneration of a Phosphonium Alkylidene Olefin Metathesis Catalyst, Organometallics 2012, 31, 5634.
- A.Y. Khalimon, W.E. Piers, J.M. Blackwell, D.J. Michalak, M. Parvez, A Photo Lewis Acid Generator (PhLAG): Controlled Photo Release of B(C6F5)3, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 9601.
- A.Y. Khalimon, O.G. Shirobokov, E. Peterson, R.Simionescu, L.G. Kuzmina, J.A.K. Howard, G.I. Nikonov, Mechanistic Aspects of Hydrolsilylation Catalyzed by (ArN=)Mo(H)(Cl)(PMe3)3, Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 4300.
- A.Y. Khalimon, S.K. Ignatov, R. Simionescu, L.G. Kuzmina, J.A.K. Howard, G.I. Nikonov, An unexpected mechanism of hydrosilylation by a silyl hydride complex of Mo, Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 754.
- A.Y. Khalimon, P. Farha, R. Simionescu, L.G. Kuzmina, G.I. Nikonov, Catalytic Hydroboration Mediated by an Imido-Hydrido Complex of Mo(IV), Chem. Commun. 2012, 48, 455.
- A.Y. Khalimon, R. Simionescu, G.I. Nikonov, Catalytic and Stoichiometric Reactivity of β-Silylimido Agostic Complex of Mo: the Intermediacy of a Silanimine Complex and Applications to Multicomponent Coupling, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 7033.
- S.K. Ignatov, A.Y. Khalimon, N.H. Rees, A.G. Razuvaev, P. Mountford, G.I. Nikonov, β-Silylimido Agostic and Silyl Hydrido Complexes of Molybdenum and Tungsten, Inorg. Chem. 2009, 48, 9605.
- E. Peterson, A.Y. Khalimon, R. Simionescu, L.G. Kuzmina, J.A.K. Howard, G.I. Nikonov, Diversity of Catalysis by an Imido-Hydrido Complex of Molybdenum. Mechanism of Carbonyl Hydrosilylation and Silane Alcoholysis, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 908.
- A.Y. Khalimon, R. Simionescu, L.G. Kuzmina, J.A.K. Howard, G.I. Nikonov, Agostic NSi-H-Mo Complexes: From Curiosity to Catalysis, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2008, 47, 7701.
- A.Y. Khalimon, J.P. Holland, R.M. Kowalczyk, E.J.L. McInnes, J.C. Green, P. Mountford, G.I. Nikonov, Synthesis and molecular and electronic structure of an unusual paramagnetic borohydride complex Mo(NAr)2(PMe3)2(η2-BH4), Inorg. Chem. 2008, 47, 999.
- A.Y. Khalimon, Z. Lin, R. Simionescu, S.F. Vyboishchikov, G.I. Nikonov, Persistent silylium cations stabilised by polyagostic Si-H•••Si interactions, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2007, 46, 4530.
- A.Y. Khalimon, K.Yu. Dorogov, A.V. Churakov, L.G. Kuzmina, D.A. Lemenovskii, J.A.K. Howard, G.I. Nikonov, Synthesis and structural studies of germyl and germyl/stannyl substituted tungstenocenes, Dalton Trans. 2007, 2440.
- W.E. Piers, A.Y. Khalimon, A.J.V. Marwitz, Methods and Compounds for Photo Lewis Acid Generation and Uses Thereof, PCT Int. Appl. 2013, WO 2013/142956 A1.