Haiyan Fan-Hagenstein, PhD
Position: Associate Professor
Phone: +7 (7172) 694656
Dr. Haiyan Fan-Hagenstein received her Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from Marquette University. Her doctoral research in the group of Dr. Scott Reid focused on the study of the fine and hyperfine rovibronic structure of some interstellar or combustion reaction related small radicals and carbenes using the techniques including jet cooled molecular beam, laser induced fluorescence, and quantum beat measurement. She then spent a few years as a postdoctoral appointee at Argonne national laboratory in Dr. Stephen Pratt’s group studying the vacuum ultraviolet and multiphoton photoionization dynamics of atoms or radical products of photodissociation, photoionization and photodissociation from excited states, and autoionization and predissociation phenomena using ion imaging techniques. The postdoctoral experience at Concordia College in the group of Dr. Darin Ulness led her to the study of hydrogen or halogen bonding in solution phase using Raman, FTIR, and NMR spectroscopy.
Currently, Dr. Fan-Hagenstein is interested in the research mainly on the following three aspects.
1. Study of the thermodynamics of the binding between DNA and antibiotics using isothermal titration calorimetry. Surface Enhanced Raman spectroscopy is also used in this project to provide some structural information of the complex formed between DNA and antibiotics. Theoretical calculation is used to help assign the Raman peaks.
2. Study of the hydrogen/ halogen bond through their impact on the vibrations of the participants using FTIR, Raman, NMR, and theoretical calculations. This part of study is to understand the molecular structure in the solution phase, as well as the mechanism of solvent effect and hydration.
3. Synthesis and characterization of functional nanomaterial. This project is to develop some functional nanoparticles that can be used to perform Surface Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy.
- K Wang, Q Ji, H Li, F Guan, D Zhang, H Feng, H Fan. Synthesis and antibacterial activity of silver@ carbon nanocomposites. J. Inorg. Biochem. 166 (2017) 64.
- Jinhui Tong, Fangfang Li, Wenhui Wang, Lili Bo, Abdulla Mahboob, and Haiyan Fan, Highly Efficient Epoxidation of Cyclopentene Catalyzed by Magnetically Recoverable Mg-doped Cobalt Ferrites with Greatly Improved Performances, ChemisrySelect, 6356-6361(2016)1.
- M. P. Balanay, D. H. Kim, and H. Fan, Revisiting the formation of cyclic clusters in liquid ethanol, J. Chem. Phys.,144, 154302(2016).
- Li, X. Wang, Y. Wu, K. Wang, F. Guan, X. Feng, and H. Fan, Preparation and study of the Fluorescence Quenching for different Core/Shell Structure Quantum Dots with Mercury (II) Induction, Synthesis and Reactivity in Inorganic, Metal-Organic, and Nano-Metal Chemistry., (2016)46. 1571-1578.
- K. Wang, X. Yu, M. Li, H. Li, F. Guan, D. Zhang, H. Feng, and H. Fan*, Chemiluminescence of O-doped Carbon Nanodots Prepared in Acidic and Alkline Conditions, Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, Vol 6, 35-41(2016)
- K. Wang, F. Guan, H. Li, M.Li, H. Feng, and H. Fan., One-Step Synthesis of carbon nanodots for sensitive detection of cephalexin. RSC Advance, 5, 20511-20515(2015).
- K. Wang, M. Li, H. Li, F. Guan, D. Zhang, H. Feng, and H. Fan., Synthesis and Characterization of CdSe/CdS/N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine/Quercetin Nano-Composites and Their Antibacterial Performance., J . Korean Chemical Society.,59, 136-141(2015).
- K. Wang, Y. Wu, H. Li, M. Li, F. Guan, and H. Fan., A hybrid antioxidizing and antibacterial material based on Ag–La2O3 nanocomposites. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry., 141, 36-42(2014).
- K. Wang, Y. Wu, H. Li, D. Zhang, H. Feng, and H. Fan., Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles: Agn(NALC)m and Agn(GSHR)m. RSC Adv., Vol 4, 5130(2014).
- B. Hawthorne, H. Fan, E. Wood, J. Smith, and T. Hanks., Study of the Halogen Bonding Between Pyridine and Perfluoralkyl Iodide in Solution Phase Using the Combination of FTIR and 19F NMR. International Journal of Spectroscopy, Vol 2013, 1-11(2013).
- WANG Kunjie (王坤杰)1, WU Yanping (吴䶮平)1, LI Hongxia (李红霞)1,*, LI Mingliang (李明亮)1, ZHANG Deyi (张德懿)1, FENG Huixia (冯辉霞)1, and FAN Haiyan (范海燕)., Dual-functionalization based on combination of quercetin compound and rare earth nanoparticle. JOURNAL OF RARE EARTHS, 31, 709-714(2013).
- H. Fan, J. K. Eliason, D. C. Moliva, J. L. Olson, S. M. Flancher, M. W. Gealy, and D. J. Ulness., Halogen Bonding in Iodo-perfluoroalkane/pyridine Mixtures, J.Phy. Chem.. A., 113, 14052 (2009).
- H. Fan, D. C. Moliva, J. K. Eliason, J. L. Olson, M. W. Gealy, and D. J. Ulness., The Effect of the Hydrogen Bonding on the Ring Breathing Mode in the Pyridine/Chloroform and Pyridine/Bromoform Systems, Chem. Phys. Lett. 479, 43(2009).
- C. Richmond, C. Tao, C. Mukarakate, H. Fan, B. Nauta, T. Schmidt, S. Kabble, S. A. Reid., Unraveling the A1B1-X1A1 spectrum of CCl2: The Renner-Teller effect, barrier to linearity, and vibrational analysis using an effective polyad Hamiltonian J. Phys. Chem. 112, 11355(2008).
- H. Fan, L. B. Harding, and S. T. Pratt Dissociative Ionization of Hot C3H5 Radicals Mol. Phys., 105, 1517-1534 (2007).