Mannix P. Balanay, PhD
Position: Assistant Professor
Phone: +7 (7172) 694657
Dr. Mannix P. Balanay received his Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from Kunsan National University in Korea. After his graduation, he was hired as a Research Professor at the same university. Dr. Balanay is from the Philippines and before coming to Korea, he was an Instructor at Siquijor State College and Silliman University. His work applies both computational and experimental techniques to study various materials that are relevant to the current needs of the society, such as energy and environment.
- Computational design, synthesis, and fabrication of organic solar cells (dye-sensitized, polymer,
- Development of naturally-derived carbon dots for analysis of compounds and bioimaging
- Environmental analysis and monitoring.
- H.M.T. Albuquerque, C.M.M. Santos, M.P. Balanay, J.A.S. Cavaleiro, A.M.S. Silva. 1,6-conjugate
- addition of carbon nucleophiles to 2-[(1E,3E)-4-arylbuta-1,3-dien-1-yl]-4H-chromen-4-ones. Eur. J.
Org. Chem. (2017) DOI: 10.1002/ejoc.201700944.
- M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. Strategic design of bacteriochlorins as possible dyes for photovoltaic
applications. J. Phys. Chem. A. 121 (2017) 6660.
- Y. Xie, O. Filchakova, Q. Yang, Y. Yesbolatov, D. Tursynkhan, A. Kassymbek, M. Bouhrara, K. Wang,
M.P. Balanay, H. Fan. Inhibition of cancer cell proliferation by carbon-dots derived from date pits
at low-dose. ChemistrySelect 2 (2017) 4079.
- M.A.B. Gapol, M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. Molecular engineering of tetraphenylbenzidine-based hole
transport material for Perovskite solar cell. J. Phys. Chem. A. 121 (2017) 1371.
- M.P. Balanay, K-S. Choi, S.H. Lee, D.H. Kim. Experimental and theoretical analysis of organic dyes
having a double D--A configurations for dye-sensitized solar cells. Spectrochim. Acta, Part A. 173
- L.L. Estrella, M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. The effect of donor group rigidification on the electronic and
optical properties of arylamine-based metal-free dyes for dye-sensitized solar cells: A
computational study. J. Phys. Chem. A. 120 (2016) 5917.
- G. Ghana Kumar, M.P. Balanay, R. Nirmala, D.H. Kim, T. Raj Kumar, N. Senthi Kumar, A.R. Kim, D.J.
Yoo. The photovoltaic performances of PVdF-HFP electrospun membranes employed quasi-solid
state dye sensitized solar cells. J. Nanosci. Nanotech 16 (2016) 581.
- M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim, H. Fan. Revisiting the formation of cyclic clusters in liquid ethanol. J. Chem.
Phys. 144 (2016) 154302.
- M.P. Balanay, C.M.G. Enopia, S.H. Lee, D.H. Kim. Theoretical design of triphenylamine-based
derivatives with asymmetric D-D-π-A configuration for dye-sensitized solar cells. Spectrochim.
Acta, Part A. 140 (2015) 382.
- M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. Molecular engineering of donor-acceptor co-polymers for bulk heterojunction
solar cells. Comput. Theor. Chem. 1055 (2015) 15.
- M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. Theoretical study on the correlations between dye-iodine interactions and
open-circuit voltages in dyes containing furan and thiophene. Comput. Theor. Chem. 1029 (2014)
- S-M. Kim, M.P. Balanay, S.H. Lee, D.H. Kim. Molecular engineering of Fluorene-Based
Photosensitizers for dye-sensitized solar cells. Bull. Korean Chem. Soc. 34 (2013) 1329.
- M.P. Balanay, K.H. Kim, S.H. Lee, D.H. Kim. Tuning the photovoltaic parameters for -substituted
porphyrin analogues: An experimental and theoretical approach. J. Photochem. Photobiol. A. 248
- M.J. Lee, M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. Molecular design of distorted push-pull porphyrins for dye
sensitized solar cells. Theor. Chem. Acc. 131 (2012) 1269.
- D.J. Yoo, A.R. Kim, M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. Alkoxy-substitued triphenylamine based chromophores
for dye-sensitized solar cells. Bull. Korean Chem. Soc.33 (2012) 33.
- M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. Computational study of absorption energies of organic sensitizers used in
photovoltaic applications. J. Phys. Chem C. 115 (2011) 19424.
- M.P. Balanay, S.H. Lee, S.-C. Yu, D.H. Kim. Application of Long-range-corrected density functional in
metallated porphyrin analogues for dye-sensitized solar cells. Bull. Korean Chem. Soc. 32 (2011)
- M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. Optical properties of porphyrin analogues for solar cells: An NLO approach.
Curr. Appl. Phys. 11 (2011) 109.
- M.P. Balanay, S.M. Kim, M.J. Lee, S. H. Lee, D.H. Kim. Conformational analysis and electronic
properties of 2-cyano-3-(thiophen-2-yl)acrylic acid in sensitizers for dye-sensitized solar cells: A
theoretical study. Bull. Korean Chem. Soc. 30 (2009) 2077.
- M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. Structures and excitation energies of Zn-tetraarylporphyrin analogues: A
theoretical study. J. Mol. Struct.: THEOCHEM., 910 (2009) 20.
- M.P. Balanay, D.H. Kim. DFT/TD-DFT molecular design of porphyrin analogues for use in dye-sensitized solar cells. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 10 (2008) 5121.
- M.P. Balanay, C.V.P. Dipaling, S.H. Lee, D.H. Kim, K.H. Lee. AM1 molecular screening of novel porphyrin analogues as dye-sensitized solar cells. Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, 91 (2007) 1775.
- M.P. Balanay, M.S. Mahinay, A.B. Balala, A.P. Rivera, A.C. Daquinag. In situ protein reactivity profile of intracellular protein targeted by Pb, Cd in heavy-metal-tolerant marine sediment bacteria isolated from Iligan city. Kimika (Journal of the Chemical Society of the Philippines), 22 (2006) 87.